Sunday, September 27, 2009

Persistence Doesn't Always Payoff

Has anyone ever wondered why some people succeed and others fail? Is it because one is smarter, more educated, prettier, luckier, etc..? If you look at many who have succeeded it is simply due to one thing – they never quit. Now I say that with caution, as if your 5’4” and trying to make it to the NBA, the odds are very much against you ever succeeding. If you look like Hilary Clinton and want to be a Playboy Centerfold, you are probably going to have a very tough go as well.

You see life is full of surprises, but it doesn’t have to be difficult getting to the top; as long as you choose a pathway that isn’t full of roadblocks. Many succeed simply because they walk down the correct alley way. It’s probably no accident that Tom Cruise is a movie star, Drew Carey a comedian, and Kobe Bryant an outstanding basketball player. They have all found the secret of success.

Many don’t quit, because they know they at least have a fighting chance, once they make their entrance to the career of their choice. If you pursue something like singing and all you ever hear from everyone is that you cannot sing, your tone deaf, or you clear out a bar, you might want to find another path, or take singing lessons. The above applies to most anything, as we have to be careful what we do, as time will defeat us always no matter what.

You might fall into a career by accident. I didn’t actually choose my career in sales and marketing, it chose me. Even when I didn’t try, I still was able to make sales. When I did actually work, I always found myself competing with the best of them. I personally would love to just play music and sing. I have actually made several thousand dollars over the years playing music, but after 10 years and a couple of albums, I know that my calling is probably sales and marketing, otherwise more than likely I would have made a better living at music than sales.

You see no matter how badly you want something, you still have to make enough money to pay your bills. You can pursue endeavors that don’t pay you upfront, but no matter what you are after, you are going to have to find a way to make a living interim.

How do you know if sales is a good career for you? I would simply ask the following – is it fairly easy for you to make deals? If it’s not and you find yourself always working hard and getting frustrated - it may be time to move onto something else. Most people who are successful in sales, will tell you that it isn’t hard for them to make deals. I believe sales is either going to be a great career choice for some, or a complete roadway to insanity for many. I would state that you will probably work harder than a ditch digger on death row in sales if you don’t have the persistence, attitude, work ethic and the personality required to succeed.

The reason I bring up sales versus being an artist, nurse, or doctor, is that I have been able to sustain a steady income in sales for over 10 years now. I have hardly ever put in more than 40 hours in a week and have gone from living in a one bedroom apartment, bankrupt, and destitute, to living in a decent home near the beach in a desirable neighborhood about 40 miles North of San Diego, I drive a Mercedes, and have made 6 trips to Australia, since my slow climb upwards.

Now I don’t want to sound like an ego maniac, because things are just things. And the only reason I bring up my materialistic accomplishments; is that no matter how successful you get in life you always have to remember where you come from. To some people I haven’t gone very far, and to others they might say - I’ve done very well. I come from a poor family that couldn’t even afford to send me to college, everything I have obtained over the years I have had to work for on my own. I like you, am still moving forward, and will never quit until the day that God decides my time is up.

The simple goal for writing this letter is that there is nothing wrong with wanting to become successful, just make sure that whatever it is that you pursue, that you follow something that you either already have a talent for, or something that is obtainable. I met a Pro Race Car Driver many years ago, who gave me some advice about becoming a race car driver. When I asked him how I would obtain the same success, he simply asked me, “Do you have a rich daddy?” I got the point, I hope you do too.

John Lowery is a home based entrepreneur. He lives in Carlsbad, CA with his wife and son. John has been involved in sales and marketing for over 10 years, and is also a published songwriter, and member of The Screen Actor's Guild.


Get free Nurse Jokes by americas favorite Nurse Comedian Karyn Buxman

No comments:

Post a Comment